Valmont Industries, Inc. Senior Logistics Manager in Valley, Nebraska
28800 Ida St Valley Nebraska 68064-8016
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position:
The Senior Logistics Procurement Manager is responsible for managing the corporate support team responsible for procurement of cost effective transportation, establishing a route guide to ensure efficient and timely transportation services, both domestic inbound and outbound. Incumbent is responsible for identifying and developing industry leading logistics systems and practices. The Senior Logistics Procurement Manager is required to operate within a matrix managed organization and is required to influence and negotiate with other parts of the business to adopt and support logistics recommendations. The Senior Logistics Procurement Manager interacts with Division and Business Unit staff including, Sales, Marketing, Customer Service, Accounting, Operations, Shipping and Receiving departments, and with carrier management and transportation specialists coordinators. The Senior Logistics Procurement Manager must keep abreast of changes and trends within the transportation industry, available capacity, business practices, etc., as well as with federal, state and local laws and regulations. With the changing nature of the global footprint, new sourcing, manufacturing plants as well as customer locations it will be necessary to operate in a continuous improvement environment and review all regional logistics operations on an on-going basis and potentially create new logistics models that are fit for purpose and support the organization’s growth aspirations.
The incumbent is responsible for providing the most efficient and economical value of shipments of Valmont products and ancillary product from any site under the umbrella of the covered business units. The position requires full compliance with U.S. regulations and customs laws pertaining to the Importing and Exporting of shipments to and from Canada and Mexico.
· This position reports into Senior Logistics Director
· This role requires up to 15% travel, including overnight stays
· Leads and manages analytical support of procurement team
· Positive, professional demeanor in all interaction with colleagues, carriers, customers and vendors
· Provide operational leadership for the business’s distribution operations in order to meet/exceed the business’s demanding customer fulfillment requirements and cost objectives
· Adhere to and follow established transportation policies, procedures, and objectives
· Maintain and analyze data related to KPI’s to ensure sufficient team and carrier performance
· Knowledge and experience necessary to assist with all aspects of logistics process
· Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
· Ability to work with people in a professional and respectful manner to address issues in a constructive way
· Strong knowledge of LTL, TL, Rail, Intermodal and parcel shipments
· Strong knowledge of executing RFP/RFQ and supporting software as part of annual renewal of contracted rates
· Strong negotiating skills, contract management and strategic thought process
Other Important Details about the Role:
· Develop and maintain relationships with transportation providers to meet Valmont’s goals and objectives.
· Supports the implementation, updating and successful use of systems intended to support the procurement of cost effective, efficient and timely transportation services, including The Mercury Gate Transportation Management System and the US Bank freight invoice auditing system and/or other systems as applicable
· Assist in the development of forecasting techniques and forecasts for product mix, product demand, and sales. This requires working with management of various functions such as purchasing, production control, marketing, and sales
· Assist with the coordination of customer service activities necessary to price, quote, schedule, manufacture, and ship at acceptable margins
· Develop/maintain reporting on savings initiatives and continued improvement
· Be available to accept a variety of duties, as time permits, ranging from special projects as directed by business units
· Monitor and report on general trends in the transportation industry, and make and implement recommendations on how to react to changes
· Assist with investigations to verify and resolve customer or shipper complaints
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
· Required Bachelors with 6+ years relevant experience, Associates Degree with 8+ years relevant experience or 10+ years of relevant experience
· 5 years of experience in a manufacturing/distribution setting in Logistics, Supply Chain, Sales, Production Control or Customer Service
· Previous supervisory/management experience
· Strong working knowledge of TMS or MRP/ERP Systems
· Strong understanding of local, state, and federal transportation regulations
· Must possess advanced problem solving skills, with attention to detail
· Detail oriented with the ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment with a focus on accuracy, follow through, and communication
· Ability to quote logistics moves in a cost-effective and time critical manner utilizing technology available
· Ability to analyze data in order to effectively quote competitive shipping costs
· Excellent planning and organizational skills exhibited under tight deadlines with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
· Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Outlook.
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:
· Bachelor’s degree in Logistics/Supply Chain management
· TMS Software experience
· APICS certification
Working Environment and Physical Efforts:
Work is typically performed in an office setting. The incumbent is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, as well as talk and listen on the phone and in personal conversations or meetings. Environment is fast paced and demanding most of the time. Incumbent may be asked to visit and work in manufacturing and shipping environments. When in these areas, incumbent will be required to wear any necessary PPE as required by site policy. Travel may be required up to 15%. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms while working in the office with various files and forms and while working on the computer. The employee is occasionally required to move about the office. Incumbent must utilize proper ergonomic safeguards such as monitor height and positions, keyboard location and height and proper wrists rests. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds in working with large files, binders, and computer equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment, call (402) 963-1115 or email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.
Valmont Industries is a leading producer and distributor of products for the infrastructure and agriculture markets.
Valmont Industries began in 1946 when our founder, Robert B. Daugherty combined his $5,000 savings and wholehearted belief that business could and should be done better. Since that modest start more than half a century ago, our company has grown to be an international leader in engineered products and services for infrastructure and water-conserving irrigation equipment for agriculture.
From the lighting and traffic structures that guide your way, to communication towers and utility structures that power your home and business, to irrigation equipment that waters the croplands on which your food is grown, Valmont products improve lives worldwide.
Valmont Industries operates in five primary business segments: Engineered Support Structures, Utility Support Structures, Coatings, Energy and Mining, and Irrigation. Valmont (VMI) is publicly traded on the NYSE.
We focus on two global markets: infrastructure and agriculture. Valmont Industries is present in 23 developed and developing countries, offering 27 brands from more than 80 facilities. International sales represent a significant portion of our revenues.
Valmont’s employees are passionate about the products we make. Along with our customers, they are the cornerstone of our success. We pride ourselves on being people of integrity who excel at delivering optimal results. We pursue opportunities for growth by taking our products and processes to new markets, introducing new products to regions where we have a presence, and continually improving our services to ensure that Valmont solutions are second-to-none.