Valmont Industries, Inc. IT Enterprise Architect in Valley, Nebraska
28800 Ida St Valley Nebraska 68064-8016
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position:
We are searching for an experienced enterprise architect who can support, envision and execute the engineering digital transformation of Valmont Industries, Inc. by architecting a technical solution that connects our enterprise application like product lifecycle management solutions (PLM) configure price and quote (CPQ), Enterprise resource planning (ERP) and our 2D-3D model-based enterprise (MBE) practices. The goal is to reduce our technical debt and drive reusability, by standardizing processes and technological solutions across the globe.
The Enterprise Architect is responsible for the creation, maintenance, and management of IT architecture models and their lower level components. They are also required to interpret, use and apply information contained within IT architecture to inform a range of business improvement activities, particularly those involved in the design, development, enhancement, and maintenance of IT support systems.
· Recommends and participates in activities related to the design, development, and maintenance of the Enterprise Architecture (EA)
· Drives architectural and technical designs understanding business requirements following up with internal and external teams
· Owns the global technical solution that connects various enterprise systems like CPQ, PDM, ERP, and CRM
· Coordinates with Valmont divisions and product owners to build synergies around process and technical architecture
· Manage, use and maintain IT/technology architecture models understanding and applying industry standard best practices
· Research overall solutions in the market based on technical requirements and business needs
· Implement the strategy for the development of IT/technology architecture work
· Conduct and/or actively participate in meetings related to the designated project/s, both locally and internationally, with clients and/or partners. Direct the IT/technology architecture activities
· Advise and recommend enterprise architecture strategies, processes, and methodologies. Implement the strategy for the development of IT/technology architecture work
· Recommend and participate in the analysis, evaluation, and development of enterprise long-term strategic and operating plans to ensure that the EA objectives are consistent with the enterprise’s long-term business objectives
· Share best practices, lessons learned and constantly updates the technical system architecture requirements based on changing technologies, and knowledge related to recent, current and upcoming vendor products and solutions
· Implement the strategy for the development of IT/technology architecture work, participates in and manages architecture working groups for the development and maintenance of the EA
· Collaborate with all relevant parties in order to review the objectives and constraints of each solution and determine conformance with the EA
· Recommend the most suitable technical architecture and defines the solution at a high level. Identify and recommend areas appropriate for further study and participate in any Proof of Concept projects required to thoroughly investigate architectural possibilities and strengthen arguments for their adoption
· Occasional development of technology solutions may be required to prove out a new architecture
· Control the management of IT/technology architectures
· Identify implementation risks and analyses the potential impact on the enterprise and on the achievement of scheduled objectives
· Act as an evangelist for the common global enterprise technology architecture controlling the processes to keeping it up to date
· Ability to create and deliver easy to understand presentations to technical managers and business people simplifying the technical concepts to get buy in
· This position reports to the Senior Director Engineering Technology and has no direct or indirect reports
· This role requires up 30% travel both domestically and internationally
Other Important Details about the Role:
This position plays an integral role in building a holistic view and roadmap of the company's technology strategy and processes. You will collaborate with internal technology groups to ensure that proposed technical solutions align with the company's overall objectives and Engineering IT vision. The following is expected:
· Apply a customer experience lens to Enterprise Architect (EA) activities
· Build the long-term strategic roadmap for all IT systems architecture
· Circulate technical roadmaps that align IT priorities with business partner needs
· Demonstrate digital opportunities and collaborate with internal innovation teams
· Develop and maintain policies, standards, and guidelines to ensure that a consistent framework is applied across the company
· Develop application and infrastructure rationalization framework to reduce technical debt
· Remain relevant and knowledgeable about on cloud technologies and cloud and hybrid cloud frameworks
· Lead the design and modeling of tactical architectures for the delivery, development, and support of projects
· Manage and facilitate an EA review board/council to evaluate project proposals for architectural fit
· Monitor new technological advances in application development and information technologies
· Participate in digital strategy decisions and provide digital business model consulting within IT Teams
· Collaborate with business and technology subject matter experts to elicit and translate business requirements into technological solutions
· Collaborate with Information Security to ensure architecture aligns with security strategy and policies
· Collaborate with other technical teams and developers to provide a consensus-based scalable and adaptable architectural solution
· Remain active in external networks to proactively integrate new technologies, as business needs change
· Actively participate in the development of the functional area/digital global strategy
· Maintain proficiency in Agile development methodologies and demonstrate understanding of the SCRUM Master role
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
· Preferred Bachelor's degree with 6+ years of relevant experience or Associate’s Degree with 8+ years of experience or 10+ years of relevant experience
· Five or more years of architecture and project leadership experience
· Three to four years of global IT experience
· One to three years of development experience
· Experience building enterprise architecture roadmaps
· Experience in designing, integrating, and managing complex infrastructure solutions
· Comprehensive knowledge of hardware, software, application, and systems engineering
· Demonstrated experience with the business process and performance modeling, benchmarking, and financial analysis
· The ability to “think big” and challenge conventional wisdom regarding technology refresh and hype
· Strong leadership and negotiation skills with business and technical groups
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Strong project management and organization skills
· A demonstrated ability to build consensus among many stakeholders
· The ability to be comfortable with ambiguity and a willingness to take principled bets on new technology
· The ability to establish, implement, and enforce appropriate IT standards to meet business requirements
· The ability to build a comprehensive understanding of and strategically connect the needs of multiple functional areas
· The ability to perform all essential job functions of the position with or without accommodations
· Ability to work in a matrixed environment
· Ability to travel up to 30% of the time locally and internationally based on the business needs
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:
· Master's degree
· Computer Science, Information Systems (IS), or another relevant academic discipline
· Eight or more years of professional IT or IS experience
· Valmont business systems and process knowledge (for internal candidates only)
· Clear understanding and passion for industry trends such as the digital twin, Industry 4.0, digital thread concepts
· PLM/ PDM /CPQ/ERP/CRM Enterprise Architecture and design Experience
· Active participant in Microsoft Developer networks and latest technology trends communities
Working Environment and Physical Efforts:
Work is typically performed in an office setting. The incumbent is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, as well as talk and listen on the phone and in personal conversations or meetings. The environment is fast-paced and demanding most of the time. Minimal travel requirements for this position. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms while working in the office with various files and forms and while working on the computer. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk when moving about the office. Incumbent must utilize proper ergonomic safeguards such as monitor height and positions, keyboard location and height and proper wrists rests. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds in working with large files, binders, and computer equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment, call (402) 963-1115 or email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.
Valmont Industries is a leading producer and distributor of products for the infrastructure and agriculture markets.
Valmont Industries began in 1946 when our founder, Robert B. Daugherty combined his $5,000 savings and wholehearted belief that business could and should be done better. Since that modest start more than half a century ago, our company has grown to be an international leader in engineered products and services for infrastructure and water-conserving irrigation equipment for agriculture.
From the lighting and traffic structures that guide your way, to communication towers and utility structures that power your home and business, to irrigation equipment that waters the croplands on which your food is grown, Valmont products improve lives worldwide.
Valmont Industries operates in five primary business segments: Engineered Support Structures, Utility Support Structures, Coatings, Energy and Mining, and Irrigation. Valmont (VMI) is publicly traded on the NYSE.
We focus on two global markets: infrastructure and agriculture. Valmont Industries is present in 23 developed and developing countries, offering 27 brands from more than 80 facilities. International sales represent a significant portion of our revenues.
Valmont’s employees are passionate about the products we make. Along with our customers, they are the cornerstone of our success. We pride ourselves on being people of integrity who excel at delivering optimal results. We pursue opportunities for growth by taking our products and processes to new markets, introducing new products to regions where we have a presence, and continually improving our services to ensure that Valmont solutions are second-to-none.