Valmont Industries, Inc. Designer in Valley, Nebraska
28800 Ida St Valley Nebraska 68064-8016
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position:
This Individual Contributor position assists with the design and drafting of products involving the origination and development of concepts and presenting new customer solutions to project designs. The incumbent reads and interprets customer order information. This position processes orders for production and customer submittal drawings, consistent with Valmont standard practices, in the moderate range of complexity, and prepares the necessary drawings and other data for the teams, other departments and the manufacturing facilities under supervision from the Senior Designer – Team Leader or Manager of Engineering. Customer contact may be required to aid the design/order process.
The Designing Department is responsible for processing drawings and designs for customers and the manufacturing facilities while maintaining the company objectives for quality and lead-time. This Individual Contributor role must interact with people in all departments in order to maintain amiable and profitable relationships in inter-departmental communication.
The incumbent will, with supervision, read and interpret customer specifications, plans and other order information to determine the format required to complete customer orders. He/she will be responsible for resolving any inconsistent, conflicting or missing customer information with the Customer, Engineering Manager or Senior Designers. The incumbent would be able to take a new request requiring new component design and complete a proposed solution independently. All Associate Designer work will be checked by qualified Designers or Engineers in the department.
The incumbent shall have knowledge of departmental and company goals, policies and procedures and the product lines represented. Deviations from these shall be minimal and only when beneficial to the department, division and company.
This position is important to the results of the department and the division. The incumbent is allowed to establish work routines and/or schedules, within company policies, in order to maintain efficient order flow. He/she may identify, recommend and help develop revisions to standard product designs, drafting procedures and systems to improve the department and the division.
· This position reports to the Senior Designer – Team Leader or the Manager of Engineering and has no direct reports or indirect reports
· This role may require some travel (expected to be minimal)
· Investigates and analyzes design problems
· Determines changes, corrections and requirements to meet project demands
· Makes sketches for use by other designer/drafters
· Interpret specifications and standards and provide information to others to ensure that customer requirements are met or improved
· Requisitions parts and products that are used in or interface with company products
· Prepares lists and quantities for use by others in purchasing function
· Contacts and discusses details of assignment with other engineers, production supervisors, customers and suppliers and prepares necessary sketches and drawing for use in producing manufacturing plans etc.
· Communicates with customers, both oral and written, to resolve specification questions in preparation of drawings
· Provides assistance and input on project basis to other team members in development of shop drawings
· Complies with Company’s attendance policy
· Follows prescribed safety rules and regulations
Important Details about the Role:
· Review customer contract drawings, specifications or instructions from Team members, Supervisors, Engineering, Customer Service, Sales and Marketing
· Manage the department backlog by monitoring order schedules, providing updates to computerized backlog and meeting “Promises Kept” in accordance with departmental priorities
· Ability to independently provide solutions to customer designs, such as new platform design and/or connection type
· Maintain required productivity output in accordance with departmental priorities
· Maintain required order accuracy in accordance with departmental priorities
· Maintain a cooperative and professional attitude in dealing with all departments of the company
· Maintain and update an accurate filing system of customer requirements
· Maintain an awareness of current Drafting policies and procedures
· Maintain an awareness of current manufacturing capabilities and limitations
· Identify, recommend and help implement changes to standard drafting procedures and systems
· Identify, recommend and help implement changes to standard designs to improve customer acceptance or reduce product cost
· Handle special assignments as requested by Drafting Supervisor
· When necessary, provide assistance to all departments in the interpretation of customer specification, manufacturing capabilities or drafting procedures
· Provide technical or drafting support of any department, for any project which will enhance product or company interest
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
· Preferred Bachelor’s with 1+ years of relevant experience or Associates Degree with 2+ years of relevant experience or 5+ years of relevant experience
· Experience utilizing design fundamentals on a variety of manufacturing materials
· Technical skills in computer aided drafting and basic understanding of mathematics normally acquired through an Associate of Applied Science degree and/or related experience (includes Algebra, Geometry and Trigonometry)
· Solidworks or Autodesk Inventor 2013 or newer version
· AutoCAD 2013, Reproduction Equipment, Scientific Calculator and Drafting Equipment knowledge/experience
· Previous PC experience a must, including basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
· Demonstrated ability to read and interpret manufacturing drawings, design constraints and product requirements
· Ability to identify and report any inconsistent, conflicting or missing customer information to Drafting Supervisor
· Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
· Demonstrated strong professional interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
· Demonstrated ability to keep a positive, professional attitude in a fast-paced environment subject to specific deadlines which must be met
· Must possess strong problem solving skills, with attention to detail and a number/math orientation
· Ability to identify, communicate and participate in process improvement opportunities aimed at reducing cost, improving efficiencies and increasing customer satisfaction.
· Ability to work in, and be an integral part of a team environment
· Excellent customer focus, including positive customer feedback
· Acceptable attendance and prior work record
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or other technical role
· Basic knowledge of Valmont products
· Experience with 3-D modeling techniques
Working Environment and Physical Efforts:
Work is typically performed in an office setting. The incumbent is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, as well as talk and listen on the phone and in personal conversations or meetings. Environment is fast paced and demanding most of the time. No travel requirements for this position. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms while working in the office with various files and forms and while working on the computer. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk when moving about the office. Incumbent must utilize proper ergonomic safeguards such as monitor height and positions, keyboard location and height and proper wrists rests. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds in working with large files, binders, and computer equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment, call (402) 963-1115 or email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.
Valmont Industries is a leading producer and distributor of products for the infrastructure and agriculture markets.
Valmont Industries began in 1946 when our founder, Robert B. Daugherty combined his $5,000 savings and wholehearted belief that business could and should be done better. Since that modest start more than half a century ago, our company has grown to be an international leader in engineered products and services for infrastructure and water-conserving irrigation equipment for agriculture.
From the lighting and traffic structures that guide your way, to communication towers and utility structures that power your home and business, to irrigation equipment that waters the croplands on which your food is grown, Valmont products improve lives worldwide.
Valmont Industries operates in five primary business segments: Engineered Support Structures, Utility Support Structures, Coatings, Energy and Mining, and Irrigation. Valmont (VMI) is publicly traded on the NYSE.
We focus on two global markets: infrastructure and agriculture. Valmont Industries is present in 23 developed and developing countries, offering 27 brands from more than 80 facilities. International sales represent a significant portion of our revenues.
Valmont’s employees are passionate about the products we make. Along with our customers, they are the cornerstone of our success. We pride ourselves on being people of integrity who excel at delivering optimal results. We pursue opportunities for growth by taking our products and processes to new markets, introducing new products to regions where we have a presence, and continually improving our services to ensure that Valmont solutions are second-to-none.